Monday, January 30, 2012

Natural Wonder

     A few days ago, I took a walk along a new favored place called the Greenway.  Let me first say that I got stupid that day.  I walked farther than I should have and paid for it.  At the end of the walk, my feet were killing me, my ankles hurt like hell, my knees were creakin' and I was limping pretty bad.  But I would gladly accept all that pain all over again for what I saw.
     It marvels me what some people willing refuse to acknowledge.  My walks, originally mandated by a doctor, are now something I actually look forward to.  For one simple reason.  For the nature.  Back to my point, it marvels me, when I take these walks, that the other people on the Greenway simply stare straight ahead and don't acknowledge the wonders around them.  Oh sure, right now things are still brown from Fall and Winter, but there are areas of green coming through.  Plus there is the wildlife.  On my little trip I saw dozens of squirrels (of course), a pair of Cardinals, a quad of Bluejays, a Falcon, a Raccoon, and four Deer.  one of the Deer, a brave soul, actually walked within 8 or 10 feet of me.  And silly me forgot to bring a camera.
     And while all this wonderful wildlife was walking, scurrying, and flying around, people other than me simply jogged on by, not even looking.  Some were on bikes, wearing their 'precious' little helmets and spandex shorts...keeping their heads down and never looking at the wonders of Nature herself.
     I love my walks for the simple reason that I get to encounter nature...and I feel sorry for all the others who never look at the wonder around them.
     Enjoy the walk and you won't care how far you go.  Your body will automatically fall into the perfect rhythm for walking...how fast and how far determined by your body itself.
     So...just enjoy the birds and the other animals.  And if you happen to be on the Big Creek Greenway here in Georgia and you see a bear walking along the man-made trails, don't run screaming...it's probably just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment